 |
| Grayson up in the Elim Kids space |
We started the hunt for a church today. We were recommended two
different churches, Elim and Arise, by a guy Dan met online who used to live
here. Today we went to the 9:30am service at Elim. We were welcomed at
the doors by a nice lady who showed us where the children's classes
were. Matty went to the class for Primary school aged children and Brody
and Grayson went upstairs with the younger children. Matty was a little
shy when we dropped him off, but then he saw legos out on the ground
and warmed up quickly. Grayson had no problem when we dropped him off at
his class, but Brody was a little unsure, so he went down with us for
worship. After worship, Dan took him back up and he was as happy as can
be to stay and play with the other kiddos. For those of you who don't
know Brody too well, this was an amazing thing because he usually won't
let Dan or I out of his sight in an unfamiliar area.
 |
| Brody and Grayson playing up in their class |
The worship part of
the service was amazing! Dan and I both really loved it, but we weren't
too sure about the rest of the service. Like Dan said, maybe it was
just an off Sunday, but there wasn't really any lesson. All they did was
had a couple who just got back from a mission trip in Japan speak a
little about their experience and then it was over. Don't get me wrong,
it was really neat to hear about what led this couple to become
missionaries and how they followed God's call in their lives, but I
don't feel I took much away from it in the end. At Shelter Cove, the church we attended the past three years back in Cali, I grew so much in my relationship with God and
fell more in love with Jesus than I knew possible. Before going to
church there I had some faith, but it was weak, so weak that at times I would even wonder if God truly did exist. I really knew nothing about who God is. I
had never really opened my bible much before Shelter Cove. I called
myself a Christian, but truly did not know what that meant and
definitely wasn't living my life as a true Christian. Pastor David, the senior pastor at Shelter Cove, taught directly from the bible.
He explained what he read from the bible in a way that you could
picture it and made it so real, not just a story. He applied it to life
today and I always left feeling on fire for God and wanting to know more. I learned so much and my faith grew a ton
during those 3 years there. I want to find another church like that. I know any church out here won't be exactly like Shelter Cove, but we need something that that will push us, make us grow, and set our hearts on fire time and time again. At Elim we just didn't feel that click, like it
was the one. I left feeling a little down and worried that we wouldn't
find a church as amazing as Shelter Cove. I started letting other doubts
creep in as well as we were driving home and just let negative thoughts take over in my mind.
Once we got home we walked
into the house which felt 10 degrees colder than it did outside. I felt
like I was walking into a refrigerator. It was freezing! Dan made us all
lunch and I, still thinking negatively about everything, took mine outside so I could sit in the sun and warm up. It
was absolutely beautiful sitting out there, the birds were chirping and dancing
around, the wind died down, and the sky was so blue with a few white
fluffy clouds floating around. The sun felt amazing on my skin. I got so warm that I even
took off my jacket, first time all week! I just started thanking God for
the sun and warmth in that moment then began reflecting on the
reasons we came out here in the first place. We have been so busy with
the moving part, that I am forgetting what this move was truly about.
What made us get where we are? We gave ourselves up to God. We let him
take the steering wheel because we weren't doing a very good job
driving. He put New Zealand on our hearts, the reason I still do not
know, but we are here. We listened, we did it, we are here, and He
provided every step along the way. Why am I trying to take control of that
steering wheel again? That question is the question that made me
realize what's causing my anxiety, doubts, and negativity. When I try taking control I start looking inward and become selfish, wanting things for me, my way. I do this time and time again, even though I have learned several times that I can't do this on my own without God. I continue to forget and slip away from keeping God the focal point of my everyday life. Thinking about this, I started to get a little teary-eyed, God has been so faithful to us
through this whole move. He has provided us with good health, food, a car, a home,
furniture, appliances, great schools for the boys, and yet I was
continuing to have doubts. Why is this such a struggle over and over
again? I doubt Him. The one who created it all. The one who has complete
control and power over EVERYTHING. It's just so frustrating how easily
we forget who God actually is. So I started praying and just asked God
to open my eyes once again, to make me want what he wants and not what I
want. We are here, in New Zealand, because of Him and He has the perfect plan. I need to
stop planning and getting bummed out when things don't happen exactly the way I
want. I need to die to myself daily and seek what it is God wants from and for
me, for us, for our family.
Elim may or may not be THE church, but there
are many more churches in Wellington for us to check out. I know God will
put us exactly where He wants us. For know I just need to keep my focus
and heart on Him. I am feeling renewed tonight and once again excited to see
what God has planned for us here. I also want to thank all of you who
have been and continue to pray for us throughout this journey. We
appreciate your love and prayers more than words can express.
 |
| Matthew was playing foosball with another boy in his class when we picked him up |
 |
| Matty telling Brody how to play |
I did really like the children's classes. Matthew's class reminded
me a lot of the way they do Awana clubs at Shelter cove. Each week they
have a memory verse and once they memorize it they earn dollars (I
forget what she called the money, but it's just fake money) and then
they have store days when the kids can buy prizes with the money they
have earned. Matthew seemed to really enjoy it.
It is so hard finding a church after a move. Growing up, I LOVED my home church. But I moved away to college. By the time I graduated, my home church split up. It was crushing. My husband and I found a church that we like here. The kids church is great. But it still never feels like home. I think deep down I just want my old church back!! Good luck church hunting! I'll be praying you guys find one you love and one that feels like home. :)
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Mandy. I hope your church will start to feel like home at some point or maybe you will find one someday that does. We really appreciate the prayers :).
DeleteOh Danielle,
ReplyDeleteThis post made me cry. Wow. So blessed by your open hearts and bravery to go on this adventure and follow where God leads, and it makes me so happy that you found a wonderful church in CA that challenged you and helped you grow in your faith and know God more. Praying for y'all that you will find a place like that there. Isn't it wonderful though, that you can go across the world and have options for places to go to church and worship?? I just think that is the neatest thing. I spent a summer serving in an orphanage in Hong Kong, and I remember being totally blown away by this mega church we went to...people of all nationalities, worshiping the same God...just opened my mind and heart to how big God is. Blessings!
I am so glad you said that Laura, very true! At Elim, there were people of all nationalities and I remember thinking that during the service yesterday morning, it was so neat to see everyone, from all parts of the world just sitting their worshiping the same God. It gave me chills. One of the men who went up to pray said the prayer, in what I believe was Italian. Neither Dan nor I had any clue what he said, but it just made me think how amazing God is. He hears us all, no matter what language we speak. So cool!
DeleteGod is so good. As you continue to seek His face and His will He will reveal it in full to you. In the dark helpless moments He can sustain us as we reach out to Him. I praise Him as I see you both reaching and growing. I pray for you daily that He will draw you ever closer to Him. He is worthy to be praised. All our love
ReplyDeleteIndeed He is mom. Thanks for your prayers and support! It means the world to us! And aren't time zones weird.. haha... i couldn't sleep so I was reading and just got an email saying you posted! :) have a great Monday! Love you mom!
DeleteDan